There have been four different buildings and numerous name changes and its early history as an opera house makes it a fitting home for the longrunning success of The Phantom of the Opera. Listed below are some other highlights of the venueâ€™s rich history.
1705: The first theatre on this site, named The Queenâ€™s with Queen Anneâ€™s permission, opened under the management of John Vanbrugh and William Congreve with an Italian opera called The Loves of Ergasto.
1711: Handel was employed as Composer and conducted his first opera for The Queenâ€™s, Rinaldo, which firmly established the venue as an opera house, presenting top class Italian opera for the first time in this country.
1714: The building was re-named The Kingâ€™s Theatre on the accession of King George I.
1732: Handelâ€™s Esther was the first oratorio to be heard in England.
1789: The first building was destroyed by fire.
1791: A new Kingâ€™s Theatre, designed by Michael Novosielski opened under the management of William Taylor.
1806: The first of Mozartâ€™s operas to be heard in London, La Clemenza De Tito, was produced.
1811: Cosi Fan Tutti and The Magic Flute were first heard here.
1816: Madame Vestris sang at The Kingâ€™s.
1817: The theatre was host to the first performance of Don Giovanni.
1818: The Barber of Seville premiered.
1820-1827 Manager John Ebers presented seasons with the stars of the Parisian Ballet, considerably increasing the popularity of the art form.
1837: On the accession of Queen Victoria, the theatreâ€™s name was changed to Her Majestyâ€™s Theatre, Italian Opera House.
1847: The Swedish Nightingale, Jenny Lind, made her debut in Meyerbeerâ€™s Roberto and sang in Belliniâ€™s Norma for a state visit by Queen Victoria.
1851: Beethovenâ€™s Fidelio was performed for the first time in this country.
1863: The London premiere of Gounodâ€™s Faust was sung in Italian under the management of Colonel John Mapleson.
1867: The theatre was once again destroyed by fire.
1869: A new building designed by Charles Lee was built but stood empty until 1875.
1875: The building was occupied by the Evangelist Meetings of Moody and Sankey.
1878: Bizetâ€™s Carmen was first heard in the building.
1882: The first complete performance of Wagnerâ€™s Ring Cycle was given.
1886: Sarah Bernhardt played a season.
1889 The last operatic performance was Rigoletto in May; other attractions included a boxing tournament.
1890: A Christmas pantomime closed the theatre.
1892: Her Majestyâ€™s Theatre was demolished.
1896: Having acquired the site, the actor Herbert Beerbohm Tree laid the foundation stone of his new theatre.
1897: The new Her Majestyâ€™s Theatre, designed by C. J. Phipps, opened with Gilbert Parkerâ€™s Seats of the Mighty. During his 18 years of management Tree established the building as a playhouse with more than 46 of his own productions, including Shakespeare, adaptations of novels and melodramas.
1901: The theatre was renamed His Majestyâ€™s with the accession of King Edward VII. Tree appeared as Malvolio in Twelfth Night and Beau Brummell in The Last of the Dandies, and Sarah Bernhardt returned to London in a season of French dramas.
1904: Tree instigated a drama school in the Dome Room at the top of the theatre, which eventually became the Royal Academy of Dramatic Art.
1905: Oliver Twist with Tree as Fagin.
1910: Tree produced Henry VIII starring Arthur Bouchier and Violet Vanbrugh.
1911: The theatre was the chosen venue for the Coronation Gala Performance for King George V.
1914: George Bernard Shawâ€™s Pygmalion was a great success with Mrs Patrick Campbell.
1916: The musical Chu Chin Chow, produced by and starring Oscar Asche, began a record-breaking run of 2,238 performances.
1923: Henry Ainley and Isabel Jeans led the cast in Basil Deanâ€™s production of Hassan.
1929: The original production of NoĂ«l Cowardâ€™s musical Bitter Sweet, produced by C. B. Cochran, began a two-year run.
1931: J B Priestlyâ€™s The Good Companions with John Gielgud as Inigo Jollifant.
1933: Aged 70 years, Lady Tree returned to her husbandâ€™s theatre in The Merry Wives of Windsor.
1934: NoĂ«l Cowardâ€™s Conversation Piece.
1935: The comedian George Robey played Falstaff in Henry IV.
1936: Ivor Novello and Vivien Leigh starred in The Happy Hypocrite and J. M. Barrieâ€™s final play The Boy David was produced.
1945: The theatre became part of the Prince Littler Group.
1947: Robert Morley starred in his own play Edward My Son with Peggy Ashcroft.
1949: Noele Gordon appeared in Brigadoon.
1952: The theatreâ€™s name reverted to Her Majestyâ€™s Theatre with the accession of Queen Elizabeth II.
1953: Bobby Howes and Sally Ann Howes played father and daughter in Lerner and Leoweâ€™s Paint Your Wagon.
1954: The Teahouse of the August Moon introduced Eli Wallach.
1958: Leonard Bernsteinâ€™s West Side Story with George Chakiris as Riff.
1961: Bye Bye Birdie starred Chita Rivera.
1962: Lock Up Your Daughters by Lionel Bart and Laurie Johnson transferred from Bernard Milesâ€™ Mermaid Theatre.
1967: Fiddler on the Roof with Topol and Miriam Karlin began a run of 2,030 performances.
1974: Judi Dench and John Mills starred in a new musical adaptation of The Good Companions.
1975: Her Majestyâ€™s became a Stoll Moss Theatre. The theatre played host to African dance spectacular Ipi Tombi.
1981: The National Theatreâ€™s Amadeus by Peter Shaffer, with Frank Finlay as Salieri, had an extended run of 15 months.
1983: The first stage version of Bugsy Malone was produced.
1985: Donald Sinden took the lead in a riotous version of The Scarlet Pimpernel from Chichester.
1986: Andrew Lloyd Webberâ€™s musical version of The Phantom of the Opera opened. Produced by Cameron Mackintosh, the original cast was led by Michael Crawford and Sarah Brightman. Subsequent casting has included Claire Moore, Dave Willetts, Michael Ball, John Barrowman, Peter Straker and Mike Sterling.
1992-1994: The building was completely refurbished, including new lavatories and a replaced roof, all achieved without losing a single performance of The Phantom of the Opera.
2000: Her Majestyâ€™s became a Really Useful Theatre when Andrew Lloyd Webberâ€™s Really Useful Group and Bridgepoint Capital purchased Stoll Moss Theatres Ltd from the Holmes Ă Court family.
The Phantom of the Opera is still playing to capacity, making it the longest run and most successful production in the theatreâ€™s history.
2005: Since December 2005 Her Majestyâ€™s Theatre has been owned 100% by the Really Useful Group Limited.
Mark Fox, with thanks to George Hoare and the Theatrical Bibliography